Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word document file format.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the SURJ Style Guide, which can be found here:
The Author has gained support from an academic member of staff in their department/school prior to submitting their manuscript. This academic member of staff has signed the 'Academic Support Form' which the Author is attaching to their submission (there will be an option to 'upload supplementary files' later on). The form is available here:
Authors who publish with the Surrey Undergraduate Research Journal (SURJ) agree to the terms of the 'Author Agreement' as stated below. Please read the agreement carefully, and contact the Editorial Team at email@example.com if you require any clarifications regarding this agreement.
In submitting the following article (the 'Work') to SURJ, I (The 'Author/s') certify that:
- I am authorised by my co-authors to enter into this agreement.
- On behalf of myself and my co-authors, I warrant that: I am/we are the sole author(s) of the Work and have full authority to enter into this agreement and that granting rights to SURJ is not in breach of any other obligation.
- The Work is original and has not been submitted for publication or published elsewhere (e.g. another journal). I/we therefore consent for SURJ to check the originality of the Work using originality checking software (Turnitin).
- I/we have obtained permission for use of any third party copyright material (including images, figures, etc.) and where applicable any relevant material has been clearly referenced in the text. (1)
- The Work does not infringe any intellectual property rights of another party, including the University of Surrey. (2)
- I/we have received academic support from a member of staff at the University of Surrey prior to submitting the Work to SURJ. This and any other help received from members of staff or students from the University of Surrey or elsewhere in the course of the research or preparation of this Work has been fully acknowledged in the body of the Work.
- To my/our knowledge all statements contained in the Work are true. Research reported in the manuscript has been conducted in an ethical and responsible manner and relevant ethical approval has been granted where necessary and discussed with the SURJ editorial team.
Copyright and Licence to Publish in SURJ
- I, and all authors, agree that the Work, if editorially accepted for publication, will be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share-Alike Licence 4.0.
- Ownership of Copyright will remain with the Author(s) and he/she reserves all other rights. (3)
- By consenting to SURJ publishing the Work under this licence, I/we understand that:
- The Work will be immediately available on open access via the journal’s website;
- Users will be free to download, copy and distribute the Work in any medium or format, for any non-commercial purpose, as long as appropriate credit is given to the Author(s) and SURJ;
- Users will be free to adapt the Work, as long as appropriate credit is given to the Author(s) and SURJ and the adapted work is shared under the same licence.
4. I/we retain ownership of copyright, as well as the following rights:
- I am/we are free to enter into additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the Journal's published version of the work (e.g. post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in SURJ.
- I/we grant to SURJ and its publisher first publication rights and a non-exclusive licence to publish, print, copy, transmit, display, distribute, archive, index, revise, and create new works derived from the Article (including the right to grant sub-licences to third parties to do all of the foregoing), for the duration of the Work’s copyright, in all languages, throughout the world, in all media and formats.
(1) For the University of Surrey’s Copyright Guide, go to: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/library/learning/informationskills/copyright/Copyright%20Information%20leaflet.pdf. Additionally, a copyright permission form can be obtained by Authors upon request.
(2) University of Surrey’s ‘Intellectual Property Code (including Patents). Available at: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/about/corporate/policies/intellectual_property_code_including_patents.htm
(3) Details about the Licence can be found at: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.